In the recent times where many-a-lookalike websites for the finance world have emerged, there has been a dark underdog who has silently been doing its work with great efficiency. Yahoo finance has been an undisputed leader for a long time in the past several years. For many readers and users of a lot of websites, yahoo is a buried or rather a lost story. But from a consumer point of view they are still in the minds and hearts of users with tools such as Yahoo mail and yahoo finance which has been of supreme importance to users.
We shall take a closer look at Yahoo finance in our case. Yahoo finance has been starkling to users in many ways – one of the biggest benefits that yahoo finance offers is the amazing ability to show what analyst across different companies thinks about the firm, where does it stand and also provides a complete comparison of all relevant and important factors. They have very well played the game of catch-up as they have introduced new designs/screens. Though it is very similar to Reuters/Bloomberg in terms of categorization of content, they have an edge as they already have a good user base who gets all the premium features for free. They have MSN Money and Google finance as their closest competitors who are keeping them on their toes w.r.t innovation, features and technology. Given some of their hidden features to extract historic values going back few decades, Yahoo finance’s also allows provides the user a good analytical dashboard to understand their investments which allows them to better manage their asset.
While conducting research on the popularity of Yahoo/Google/MSN/AOL finance portals, we were not surprised to see that many of them concurred out voice about Yahoo. Some excerpts are mentioned below -
- Anon User, Quora said,
“Google Finance is uglier: Google has great user interfaces for some properties such as Search, Gmail, and Maps, but for others it just doesn’t cut it (with Google Video being another prime example). Google Finance and Yahoo Finance serve the same purposes for most users, so people will default to the one that offers a superior user experience.”
- Amit Chaudhary who worked in Yahoo Display Advt team commented,
“Many reasons in favor of Yahoo finance so far:
- Features are still better on Yahoo! Finance. this includes customizing indices on FP, ticker at the top, looking at data for market (new highs, up volume), indices of continents & country, etc.
- Yahoo! allows more variations of downloading of historical stock prices and there are tools built around it (see Excel SMF_Addin)
- More financial data per company
- Better graphs including more technical investing options
- Better news on front page and their own video service, TechTicker
- Finally: nothing compelling to make the switch away from Yahoo Finance.
Those in favor of Google finance:
- Always pushing the envelope, did a lot to make real time quotes available for all.
- Great snapshot\main page, remembers portfolio, etc, does not auto logoff in 2 weeks & so forth.
- Zipper price graphs”
Latest posts by Sipra (see all)
- digital ears: how brands listen in the digital age – November 16, 2012
- Festive bucket list: world’s top festivals – November 8, 2012